Monday, January 12, 2009

Needing some advice...

On 2 things, please...

1. Potty training Oliver.
He will go pee-pee in the potty when he wants to. If he wants a prize or if I remind him, he will at least try... sometimes. He will not go poop in the potty. Ever. Not even a little. He isn't hiding when he poops. I can't even really figure out when he is pooping to take him to the potty. Advice?

2. He lies about pooping in his pants.
I will ask him if he has pooped. He says no or blames it on Liam. I remind him that if he lies to me that he will get a spankin. He still holds to the "no poop" story. He will also lie if I ask him if he got out of his bed (when he has a toy, so obviously he has gotten up...)and then he gets in trouble for telling lies. I am thinking he is saying "no" because he knows that we want him to poop in the potty. I have tried to explain to him that he won't get in trouble for pooping in his pants. He gets in trouble for telling lies about pooping in his pants. Am I even making any sense?! UG.

Has anyone got any advice? Been there? Made it out alive and with all your hair in place?

He will be 3 in March and I do think he understands the process of going potty. If I ask him where he is supposed to poop he will tell me in the big boy potty. I am talking in circles... help?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

are you real sure that he knows what a lie actually is. quite honestly you have one of two choices. 1. question him constantly on whether or not he has to potty. 2. let him do it in his own time, and he will.

Anonymous said...

reward, reward, reward..and praise, praise, praise when he does go in the potty even if he has had accidents and quite literally devoting your whole day to taking him to the bathroom. he will get it eventually, remember don't sweat the small stuff! i am sure you are tired of changing diapers but this too will pass and if he is not interested then let him be awhile and come back to it.

Sunny said...

take it from the mom of two boys potty trained now. There is no rushing it. They will do it in their own time. The more you stress about it, the longer it takes. My boys are about the same ages apart as yours. 22 months here. My youngest did not potty train until he was 3 and a half. Mostly due to health issues. My oldest was two and a half. He just got up one day and decided "Mommy, my NOT wearing a pull up!"....Keep in mind this was after almost 5 months of me chasing him to go on the potty and him not cooperating or saying he did not go when you know he did! Just like Oliver, Noah, INSISTED he did not go when he did or that he did not have to go. Just hang in there it will get better! When he is ready, he will let you know.

BaJaLis Blogs said...

Well I'm not sure if this will help but when Lincoln came along Jaiden was 2 years and 4 months and a few months later I decided that buying diapers for two really stunk. So we bought her some of the really thick training underwear and I just all together quit buying diapers for her so that I would not be able to grab one when i was ready to give up. We put a protector on her mattress and we just roughed it out for about 2 weeks. Day and night. This usually only works if you don't have any plans to leave your house for the next few weeks. She had the hardest time doing number 2 also. It would totally freak her out and my mom had told me that she had heard that it was because they feel like they are losing a part of them. (like they are losing a body part or something) I hope you understood my ramblings but this eventually worked and it only took a few weeks. Granted the two weeks were the longest of my life but it was well worth not having to buy 2 packs of diapers a week.